CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 30, 2008

"You really have to be in the mood for that stuff"

Ok I finished this way at the beginning of May because I was waiting and waiting for this book to really have a plot and it really didn't so I read it fast to see if I could get to the point of the book and it comes maybe at the end I don't know. What was this book really? So the kid was a little on the depressed side (or maybe a lot) and just walked around New York saying how much he hated this and hated that and that everyone was a phony and he hated people who were phony.

So he's this kid who doesn't know who he is or what he wants to do with his life.....who hasn't been like that at least once in their life? So why is this book so special? Can anyone tell me? It's one of those classic books that you just "have" to read like "The Great Gatsby" and I had never read either of those until now and I don't know what all the hype is about. So please if I'm missing something from this book please clue me in. I think I had all the GD this and Chrissake that I could take and after awhile I didn't even notice them anymore since they were pretty much every other word in the book. Also I didn't even know why it was called "Catcher in the Rye" until Holden went off about what he really wanted to be....a catcher of kids running around in a rye field....what?!

I did chuckle a few times at some of the things he said because there were some funny comments he made but for the most part I was just annoyed because the book didn't seem to go anywhere but I was glad that he finally was happy at the end. Man his poor little sister, she had to go through all of that while her older brother tried to "find" himself and ended up in a mental hospital of some sort. I'd like to read a story about her and her take on all of that. She seemed pretty smart and was the only one who really knew her brother and could tell him like it was and knew what had happened to him before he even had a chance to tell her he was kicked out of school again.

Ok so what else am I missing? Can somone tell me?

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I read it in High School, and I did love it. It's one of those books that you have to really pay attention to reading deeply into it, and be all philosophical about it. I think that's why dramatic high schoolers love it.

However, that's why I didn't read it again. Been there, done that. :)

Life with the Warrens said...

maybe you have to be going through that angst and loneliness and "find" yourself to really understand the underlying tones of the book. ah, what do i know, i didn't read the book.

Sarady said...

Maybe this book would have been more awesome for me in "Hike School." But, I haven't finished yet, so I can't say for sure.

Cort said...

Great thoughts! I agree with so much. I don't think you're missing anything, it's just like hanging out with an idiot teen for a few days.

April & Chris said...

I like that... "it's just like hanging out with an idiot teen for a few days." I think it summarizes the book quite nicely... i'd just add "very depressed" before idiot. :)