I really enjoyed this book. I'm excited to cook a dessert made out of just fruit. I'm excited to try spices. I don't used salt in our house because my hubbie has high blood pressure so the part about cooking with spices got me really excited. I didn't feel like she was putting down Americans but I probably didn't feel that way because I feel like I am a stupid American. I felt more like she was letting me in on her culture which she was very proud to share. It made sense to me that their way of life has been going on for centuries and Americans way of life is relatively new. IT's true and we are a melting pot for a bunch of diets and cultures. My opinion is that politics and money have screwed up a lot of our diet but I won't get on that rant.
I do think Americans know how to enjoy food but I think we enjoy it so much and have this attitude that we work hard and deserve it all the time. The idea that, "I want it now and I want it cheap and convenient."
Wow, this post is all over the place. I apologize.
The truth is, I learned a lot about my habits and attitudes reading this book. I am a mother and multi-tasker and I eat in front of TV, eats while preparing food, eats in the car, and I eat standing and it has become so mindless for me. At the same time, food is almost all I think about because I have kids that eat 3 meals and 1 or 2 snacks a day. The thought of food and the next meal exhausts me but this book motivated me to make it more fun, more of a ritual of pleasure, more seasonal even. So for me...Bon Appetite!
Thursday, May 8, 2008
I Am A Stupid American
Posted by Cort at 6:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
i am glad that you actually read the book all the way through!
I think the fact that America is still relatively new really does play a big part of why our "food habits" are so different. In my opinion, we have a collection of all these different cultures and it's almost too much. We don't have a well-defined diet like the French (or English, or Italians, etc.).
Thanks for your opinion, hermana. I'm glad you got a lot out of this book. I'm glad most of you did. I also got some good pointers that I will use.
Post a Comment