I was really excited to read Eat Pray Love. One of my all time favorite books, Travels by Michael Crichton, is a similar autobiography. In it he also leaves his supposedly wonderful life behind to travel to all corners of the earth in order to find himself. He also comes across as a well-to-do, full-of-himself, well accomplished person. Needless to say, both left it all behind in a search for themselves. Where his writing is intelligent, witty and insightful; she fails miserably. Her writing, to me, was obtuse, painfully superficial, predictable, and vapid. I read over half of it, but could not force myself to choke any more down. I think I just really can not stand her writing style (and maybe her too! J) My point in the comparison is that when reading Travels, I didn’t really like HIM either – but I loved that book!
There were parts that I liked (the titles or things her friends said) and others I could relate to (to an extent). I, like Liz, went through a horrible depression and identity crisis (I think almost all of us do, however maybe not so extreme, at some point in our lives). I remember feeling so low and empty & begging for help as she did. I’m not going to go into details here, but let’s just say there were MANY causes and I am VERY grateful that it is behind me. It took a long time of suffering in solitude & trying to pull myself out, before I realized that my most wonderful ally and support was right under my nose. I know because of Chris and his unconditional love, I was able to break free. It’s amazing how we can set up walls around us that keep us from our loved ones & the longer they stay there the thicker they get. He just had to wait until I opened the door.
Can you imagine if the beginning of the book was flipped and it was him that decided after SIX years of marriage, happily purchasing a new home together and then HE drops a bomb on her? She even admits she was already seeing someone else… I can’t say I felt sorry for her situation.
I think it would be fascinating to go study with a guru and to travel to all ends of the earth. I would love to go spend months living in Italy or some other country with no responsibilities… really who wouldn’t? In this case, it’s a spoiled rich woman who mistakenly thinks that by being incredibly self absorbed she will figure out who she is… surprise: someone who’s incredibly self absorbed! For someone who thinks of herself as a very open minded woman, she isn’t.
I don’t mean to offend anyone who enjoyed the book, I just couldn’t. I just found it VERY disappointing. I seriously fell asleep reading it many times. Sorry, not for me. Try Michael Crichton's book instead.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Read Sleep Snore
Posted by April & Chris at 12:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
April, the title of your post is hilarious. I have talked to some friends locally who also were disappointed and annoyed. As far as offending anyone - I certainly hope not. It's book group! We aren't supposed to agree on everything. It's interesting how certain books have the ability to polarize readers so extremely. Remember Bridges of Madison County? All of my friends, and friends of friends loved that book. I HATED it! Anyway. I loved this book, but I'm cool with others not feeling the same way. Thanks for your post.
Hi April! This is what is so interesting about Book Clubs. Books just affect people so differently! I have heard a few people being turned off by the book, and I almost wonder if the way she starts it is a big reason why. The first thing she talks about is leaving her husband and her struggle with her relationship with God - and I can TOTALLY see how that would turn some people off and make them dislike her - to the point of no return. And really, if you dislike her, I can see how the rest of the book wouldn't be interesting. Even though I really adored it and related to her, and didn't find her spoiled & selfish, I can totally see how her opinions are not for everyone. It's always interesting to hear other points of view on the book like yours! :)
With that said, now I totally want to go read the Michael Crichton book!
OOO, I love this discussion. I was so torn reading this book too feeling just like you and somehow I just starting enjoying her journey. Thank you so much for putting it all out there! This is what makes book club awesome. Now I too want to read Criton's book. Maybe we should add that to the list for next year!
I have not read this book but after reading this post i feel like you have really describe what i was thinking the whole time that this book would be. That is the soul reason for me not to push and get this book. i happily have waited on the library list.
Thanks for the comments...
Mugs: Thanks for your comments. I appreciate them.
Jenny: Thanks for your comments. I actually really enjoy this kind of book (hence my comparison with Travels). Funny thing was it wasn't until I got into the traveling part that I was completely turned off by the book. It really came down to writing style & maybe personality - it just never went anywhere for me.
Court: Thanks... Travels is a great post, but you probably got that from my post!
Warrens: Believe me, you're not missing out on much. I can send you mine if you REALLY want it though! :)
April, I also laughed when I read the title of your post. Very witty. And, I really liked your review. I think you made a lot of really great points on the flip side of the coin. Like, what if it were the husband doing the leaving? I wonder what kind of response the book would have received then?
I was also glad that you talked about your experience with depression. Especially the part about the walls that we build up--and how Chris was just waiting for you to open the door. What a great analogy. Not everyone copes the same, I guess, but thank goodness for loving husbands, relatives or friends that do give that unconditional love when it's needed the very most. Excellent review.
Its really nice to read someone's review that hated it! Although, I really like most of the book, I can definitly see why you would not like it. I hadn't really thought about Liz being self absorbed, I kind of looked at it with the thought that we have to get ourselves through this life, we might as well take care of ourselves both phyisically and mentally. I agree that everyone copes in a different way, her's just took A LOT of money and time. Great review, it's nice to hear about this book from a different opinion.
Post a Comment