CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 2, 2008

My Take on the Book

So I'm not sure how we're supposed to do this - do we just each post our thoughts? 


Anyway, I absolutely loved this book. Unlike some others (and some reviews I've read) I didn't find Elizabeth to be selfish or anything like that at all. I do think I'd like her in real life - she just seems to operate on much the same wavelength I do. 

I don't think I could pick out one favorite "section" of the book. I thought the three all flowed so nicely into each other. I also think she's really funny, and I found myself laughing quite a few times throughout the book.

I mentioned this in my comment of a post below, but what really struck me was at the very beginning of this book - when she describes the moment she realized she was in a marriage she TRULY didn't want to be in, and was crying in the bathroom late at night, praying to a God she never really prays to, and who she's never tried to define. I got married when I was 20 years old - to a man I really didn't love, totally out of naivety - and about a year and half later I had this exact same experience. I think I was even in the bathroom like she was and everything. And I, too, cried sloppily with snot running down my face asking what to do, and then suddenly had a moment of instant peace, and a voice that sounded much like myself, telling myself to go to bed. I'm not kidding. When I read that part of the book, it actually kind of tripped me out because of how exactly like my personal experience it was.

Luckily my divorce was quick and easy - nothing like hers. We were both young, and I just moved out and sort of got on with my life. All in all my marriage & divorce was a great experience for me, believe it or not. I really learned about who I am and what I want in life. After that I really became actualized & very strong, and am now in an amazing marriage to someone who brings me absolute joy. I don't think I would have ever really known what would make me truly happy had I not gone through that experience. Weird, I know. :)

Another thing I really related to is Elizabeths concept of religion & spirituality. I was raised Mormon, and really tried to put myself into that gospel & those rituals, but it never felt personally authentic. So I left it. Over the last 10 years I've become very close to God & my own spirituality - but not through one defined religion. Every time I tried to "define" it, it personally felt like constraining it. I truly think of spirituality much in the way she seemed to in this book. And it brings me much comfort to not have to worry about the details of exactly who God is, or what he/she looks like, or exactly what happened to get us all here, or where we'll go after - I've always left it very open in my heart & mind, and accepted that I don't have to have those answers to feel spiritually close to Him/Her. I liked that a lot in this book. Now I know that that isn't how everyone else feels about religion, and I don't hold any judgement against those who believe in one certain religion - not at all. I think that's what is great about spirituality - everyone's personal relationship with God is unique, and I'm not one to judge anyone elses relationship! I never have understood why people try to do that.

And finally, the main thing that made me adore this book is my love of adventure. It's been a life long dream to do what she did - just hit the road and discover new cultures and just completely submerse myself in another country for a while. Sarah and I had a few months of this kind of adventure when we went to Europe in 1998, and since then I've always hungered for more. Especially Indonesia. So, reading travelogues has always been a joy for me - and this one just was perfect, in my opinion! I loved hearing about all the little discoveries she made, and the little cultural nuances of each place she went. I really want to find that Pizzeria she talked about with the Best Pizza Ever. I also really want to go to Bali & find that medicine man! (I've heard & read on her website he is easy to track down.)

So, I'll be recommending this book to all my friends for sure!

5 comments:

Cort said...

You are so inspiring! I love when people open up and let it all hang out, it makes just about everyone so much more likable. I do love her spirituality, organized religion seems to lose it sometimes for me, that's why learning different kinds of meditation would be so incredible. Oh and I love how she says Americans can't do nothing, we feel quilt if we do, we can't just have pleasure and just enjoy it. We can't, it's true.

Mugs said...

Jenny, thanks for sharing this! I don't think it's weird at all that your divorce was something that helped you to experience the genuine joy of your marriage now. How cool that you and Gilbert both had such similar experiences. I would venture to guess that a lot of women could say the same. Sometimes the best advice/solution really is just to GO BACK TO BED! I have discovered that there are very few problems that can't be eased with a prayer and a good night's sleep.

Hey, if you and Sarah ever go on another adventure I want to come! I even have all the words to In the Background memorized (Sarah said you guys sang that all the time on your trip - word for word).

Sarady said...

Jenny, I'm so proud of all you have overcome. (I don't mean that in a condecending way at all. I saw your first marriage from start to finish, and I know that was an indescribable experience.) I'm so glad that you found a book that could actually put into words some of the intense emotions that you were feeling. What validation you must have felt! I didn't read the book, but I did read an article/interview about her on MSN. It was a controversial article against her beliefs, but what I like that she said was basically that she wrote this book for herself. It was her self-discovery that she decided to share with others. She wasn't trying to change anyone's views or ideals. Just stating hers.

I have to admit, you do have an amazing sense of adventure and a carefree spirit. I hope you do get to travel to all the places your heart desires. You made our trip to Europe fun!

Jenny said...

Wow thanks guys! Your comments mean so much to me! :)

OH, and yes, we totally sang "in the background" the WHOLE time. (Sarah, you really were what made it fun, to me!!)

April & Chris said...

I love to read everyones thoughts on the book. It's so true that books are filtered through each of our life experiences... well actually, all things are. Thanks for sharing your experiences. :)