So I'm up on a Saturday at 7 am so I guess I've got some time to start the discussion.
I agree with some people that I don't know if I'd like this woman in real life, I didn't really like her on Oprah much. Then again, I don't like Oprah much either. I know I didn't love this book because it took me 3 weeks to read and finish it, but I did like and enjoy it and would recommend if you didn't have time to read it, it might be worth your time.
Ok. What I loved about this book was how it made me compare my life and marriage the whole time I read it. I haven't thought that much about where my marriage stood and was going since probably my first year married. And I loved her feelings about religion. My parents are quite racist and it doesn't stop with race, it bleeds right into religion. Islam is their current most hated religion. I love her views that every religion is just about trying to obtain a spiritual relationship with the Almighty (whoever it is). And that much can be learned from all religions on what has worked for them to achieve it. I love that she believes that prayer is talking with God and meditation is listening. Simple and profound.
I was severely depressed and suicidal at the age of 17 and with my parents support and three years of therapy and medication...and soul searching, I recovered. That was another thing I really enjoyed seeing. I always wondered how people recover when they're adults and have jobs and families. I sat on the floor of my bathroom painting for hours and laid in the hammock by the pool thinking but how do you recover if you're an adult with responsibilities? Her way is one way. It felt very selfish but in that part of my life I had to be selfish. It's controversial. But while reading I did find myself saying, "I'd love to leave right now and go live in an ashram." Purely for the silence because raising kids is a noisy profession.
Ok, I think that's post enough for me. Overall I liked the book, I actually thought about my sister a lot (she's a young spiritual soul searcher).
My question is: On the Italy part, she talks about how every city, every family, every person has one word to describe them. It changes through time but what is your word? I thought about it for a few days and I think snail is my word. I do not like to be rushed. I like to go slow and take things in and think them over. I'm even a slow hiker and a slow runner...and a slow snowboarder. It's just me. I've moved 13 times in my 30 years and I carry my home on my back. Where ever I am is fine. I also like to think that I leave little glittery "snail trails" of the places I've been, I like to think I left my mark. And lastly. I, like the snail, am very mucousy, I am a daily nose blower.
Saturday, March 1, 2008
Let's Begin
Posted by Cort at 7:45 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
wow.snails are great. that means you are too. i didn't read the book but if i had a word for my family it would be......pretenders. not that we pretend to have money but we love to make believe and be super heroes or pirates, princesses,zombies, dancers etc. or sometimes i become the hulk when i am really angry. i hope to read this book soon.
I think the pretenders is perfect for your fam. Is that what you are too?
I tried so hard to think of "my word", and seriously STILL cannot think of one. I would say I'm more of a discombobulated sentence. :)
I, too, loved how she described praying/meditating! There were so many little quips in the book that I'll remember & try to quote!
Cort, your description of her description of depression and coping is very enlightening. I'm so glad that you had your chance to heal before the rest of your life began. What a blessing! I've often pondered that same thing? How is it done as an adult?
And your word--snail--loved that, too. You've definitely left your "snail trails" in several places I've been, so, thanks!
A word for me? I'll come back to this. Need to think for a bit.
Glittery snail trails? That's awesome! And funny. I'm so glad that you were able to find your peace. I think that a "selfish season" is totally necessary to fully heal sometimes. A friend of mine put it this way - if the plane is going down you have to put that mask on yourself before you can be of much service to those around you. Then when a person is in a healthier state of mind they really can find even more of themselves by losing themselves. Anyhoo. I always enjoy your thoughts. I noticed that you and I both used the phrase "simple and profound" (only mine was in reverse) to desribe parts of this book! So true, isn't it?
I agree with the snail comment, although I think you have a million times the personality of a snail...and you don't dissolve when bathing in salt.
Post a Comment