CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 29, 2008

ACK! I could hardly read the book. I finished the first third, in Italy. Maybe too much divorce talk. Maybe too much depression talk. I'll keep trying, but am really looking forward to the book for March!

6 comments:

Cort said...

I actually agree. All the depression and divorce talk was very taxing on me and I was just pissed at her and didn't like her because it all felt so selfish. But I did end up liking the progression and growth as I read on.

Sarady said...

I didn't read the book this month. That wasn't my plan; I was waiting for the library to tell me it was my turn and I didn't really want to buy it. So, I won't be able to participate in the discussion, but I'm excited to read everyone's thoughts. I'm also excited for March's book.

Libby said...

Honestly, I thought Italy was probably the best of the sections. India annoyed me, and Indonesia got a little too personal in the romance department (chapter 96 made me squirm), for my taste. I can't tell yet if I actually could like her, if I knew her. She made some really good points about a lot of stuff, but she was really selfish.

Jenny said...

See, the divorce & depression talk was great, in my opinion. Maybe it's because I've been divorced, and the way she describes the whole experience of deciding you really are in a marriage you don't want to be in is the most accurate portrayal of that experience I've ever read. It touched me. Especially about her inner voice comforting her. I was only 23 when I experienced it, but it was still the same!

However, it's the type of thing that isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's nice to read about that stuff when you can relate.

Liz said...

I agree! I loved the writing; I thought it was very witty. But some parts did drag on and I didn't relate to most of it. I can see how women in a similar position (i.e. divorce, depression) would understand. But for me, not so much.

April & Chris said...

You make me laugh! Did you make it through much more? It never came to life for me. I think the only part I kind of enjoyed was the beginning depression stuff... but the rest was rather flat & not entertaining. Even the people in the book that had potential, were very one-demensional. If you didn't finish, I personally think you didn't miss out on much.