I don’t know what it is about me and the Bronte sisters, but I devour their stories. Although I don’t care for it in my own life, I like to read about dark, gothic themes tangled up with romance. I loved Wuthering Heights, which was very dark. And although Jane Eyre is not quite as dark all the way through, it still holds just enough of that element for me. I know this review will probably echo much of what April and Julia have already said, but I guess that’s what happens when you read a classic..
I think Charlotte Bronte’s tale was well thought out. It is very clear to “the dear reader,” even in 2008, the importance society placed on money, status, beauty, religion, etc. (isn’t this always the case in the classics?). But I found myself endeared to Jane and Mr. Rochester because of their ability to overcome those “norms” of society.
.
I thought Jane was an incredibly strong, three-dimensional character. I envy her will power (I probably wouldn’t have been so unwavering—but I guess I’m not a super heroine, so it doesn’t matter). I love that so many of her similarities remained with her from childhood to adulthood, but at the same time, I enjoyed watching her grow up and correct some of those things which were hurting her emotionally—like her hate for Mrs. Reed and her cousins. She took a very negative past and managed to make a solid life for herself, man or not. Although, I have to admit, I thought Mr. R was just as much of a hero. I realize he is a little rougher around the edges, and has definitely made his mistakes in the past, and it took him a good 20 years to see the light, and he was a little cunning—BUT I think he was genuinely good all along. He just wanted to love and be loved in return (I know, I’m quoting "Moulin Rouge"). He could have easily followed the demands of his society, but by the time Jane had entered his life, those things were no longer important to him. He also chose to treat Jane as his equal, breaking every status, beauty and monetary barrier before Jane even realized that they were equals. I guess my point is that Jane recognized his goodness all along, which is probably why she fell in love with him. And even apart from Jane, Mr. R did not permanently abandon Bertha or Adele, which he could have easily done. His heart was in the right place.
.
I will admit, along with April, that there were many coincidences, and it almost seemed too easy, too happy. But when I started thinking about it, I don’t think Charlotte’s sole purpose in writing these coincidences was just for a happy ending; I think she was making a connection to the religious side of coincidences (which technically wouldn’t be coincidence if it was orchestrated by God). What I think I like most about that aspect of the book is the way Jane feels God is directing these coincidences, and in the end, even Mr. R believes God had a hand in his life. Jane goes on a religious journey throughout the entire book, with Mr. Brocklehurst, Helen, St. John, etc. In the end, she formed her “own” firm rooted beliefs, which would not have come about without all the trials and happy coincidences. My personal belief is that God does intervene and orchestrate tiny little miracles. So, in the end, I find this aspect of the book to be very well thought out and realistic—in a religious context, at least.
.
Overall, this is an excellent book. I will read it again and again. I did watch the A&E version, which I didn’t really care for, but the BBC 2007 version is great--very similar to the book.



5 comments:
Sarah,
I love your review. Nicely written! I'll have to check out the BBC movie. I'm excited to see it! Can't wait to read your review of Breaking Dawn!
Thanks, cousin (hee hee). I really like the BBC version. It is so similar to the book, but of course was adapted so they could fit it into four hours. I just love the way Mr. R and Jane are in the movie--even if it is a little beefed up.
i told jeremy that i need to see the BBC version now. I love the A&E cuz they are so unattractive like i imagined them to be. plus it was way over the top acting. i am so happy that you have read it now! sorry my copy didnt work so well. but you found one you love that is great too!
You'll love it, Tanya. I know you will. I guess I don't imagine them that ugly in the book. Plus, back then, their idea of pretty/handsome was the bright eyed, fair skin, blond type. I bet their idea of ugly then would at least be somewhat attractive now. Maybe not.
Ok ok, you've convinced me to give this book a shot, I hadn't really even picked up up yet.
Post a Comment