Breaking Dawn, what a sad disappointment, just didn’t live anywhere up to the other books. I know there are many who still loved it, I unfortunately was not one. It just wasn’t the “happy escape” the previous Twilight series books were. It was just OK.
Libby did a great job of explaining some of the major issues with the book, so I don’t know how much detail I’m going to go into. It wasn’t just that the book was a letdown, it changed the series. The major conflict for the entire series, her becoming a vampire and the list of sacrifices and pain it would cause her and everyone around her, was completely EASY. The whole baby thing and her being the martyr, way over the top, Bella just isn’t that tough. The name Renesme, ridiculous –I’ll give her the fact that there are some wack names out there – but, I’ve come to expect MORE from Stephenie and this series. The imprinting on Nessie – weird (yes, weirder than Quil), gross, wrong and boring, and all too easy solution to how Jacob, the rest of the werewolves and the Cullen clan would now all get along. Her dad and his positive attitude about all the changes, not really being weirded out at at all?!?! The Volturi, what was that? I could go on and on….
I guess my main disappointment is that, even though the other books had many unbelievable situations and she always has a good cheese factor, she made it work well in the other books. This one just didn’t. I will say that she did tidy up most of her loose ends. Maybe she did that first, then before she had time to make it remotely entertaining or exciting it was time to publish?? It was lacking the creativity, excitement and passion of the previous Twilight world. It was fluffy, easy and rushed. (Maybe she's just been too busy with book signings and movies, or something isn't going well in her life? Either way, she needed more time or something.) I know she can do better, I’m disappointed.
BUT, if you would like to read most of Midnight Sun (the Edward story), a partial draft was sadly leaked by someone. You can read the story and the draft on her website. The book is indefinitely on hold, but what has been written you can read here: http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html
So, enjoy what’s there.
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Me too...
Posted by April & Chris at 9:15 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
I won't give away too many of my thoughts because I am going to write a review still.
I will however say that I read Midnight Sun and I loved it. I think it may be some of her best writing ever. It definitely had the magic of Twilight--something I wish she would have been able to hold on to for the entire series.
Post a Comment