This was an interesting read for me. I felt like Julia at times because I didn't know what the book was about and it was irritating hanging out in this cynical kid's head for the 4 days it took me to read it. I just kept thinking what a turd he was...and then it hit me. I was that turd! I was the idiot in high school that in order to cope with all the changes in my life tried to make myself feel better than everyone else. I put everyone down in my head to make myself feel better and of course that doesn't work very well, it just isolates you more. Needless to say I was depressed just like Holden. It was exhausting reading his every belittling thought and I was disgusted with him and disgusted with how I used to be. I kept hoping he would just snap so that he could get better but no luck. I did like how his only bright spots in life were his little sister and random children. I liked his outlandish dream of being the catcher in the rye. We all have to look and focus on those little bright spots that make us happy in the midst of our cynicism.
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
you know come to think of it I was a bit like Holden (and maybe still am) in the fact that I have a tendency to think negatively. No matter how happy or positive the thing is I can find a way to spin it negatively. I am also overly suspicious of everything.....
Post a Comment