Although I do have some good things to say about this book, I will start with the things I didn’t like so much, and then try to end on a more positive note.
The reason why I never picked up this book when it first came out, despite all the hype, was because of the title—seemed kind of arrogant (and a pretty big generalization). Maybe it was because I let my prejudices take over from the start, but I felt somewhat judged as an American. I just kept picturing Kevin McAllister’s sister (in Home Alone) saying, “You’re what the French call, ‘les incompetent,’” over and over. The last thing I need while reading a book about how to keep the pounds off is a French woman insulting my American roots. Why should I trust some one who is insulting me? It turned me off from the get-go. It seemed as if all French people think Americans just scarf down McDonald’s and full plates of pasta, and if only we would use our “pallets” more, life would be heavenly.
First off, I don’t even have a sense of smell (I was born without it for those who may not know), so the whole point of savoring the aromas and tastes of the food doesn’t work for me. It would be a joke for me to concoct herbs and spices in the kitchen. I realize this is an individualized problem for me, but even if I were able to smell (and taste better than I do), I still have to ask: what makes Mireille think that Americans don’t savor their food? It is still possible for Americans to enjoy the flavors of their food, even if they aren’t sitting in a Parisian bistro. We don’t live in France. There really are a lot of differences between the two countries, so comparing our differences (while frowning upon America’s) is like comparing apples to oranges. America is not set up with corner markets or walking-accessible grocery stores, etc. For those of us on a budget, it’s not entirely practical to go to the store every couple of days. I realize that she is saying if we did have corner markets and walked to the store several times a week, we’d be better off, but again, apples to oranges. It takes 10 minutes just to drive to a decent-priced grocery store here, and to be honest, I don’t feel like being social while I’m fighting with a two-year-old and just trying to get out of there so I can go home and prepare my savor-licious meal. On that same note, sometimes it’s more convenient and easier to use paper products instead of my nice dinnerware. I thought it was kind of ridiculous that she said if it bothers us to wash the plate, “it’s better than being fat.” I realize this may be her blunt culture coming through, but I just don’t think I am going to get “fat” from eating off of a paper plate.
Okay, so on to the things I did enjoy about this book. Yes. I am all for eating what I like in moderation. I think of all the things she talked about, moderation was the one point that stood out most for me. I agree that starvation and total denial of foods we love is self-defeating. Also, I agree that we should be sensible about the things we are putting into our bodies. There’s no need for a Wendy’s Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger three times a week when we can make something ten times more fulfilling with more healthful foods. It's harder for me to settle for Wendy’s when I have my meal for that night planned out. I most definitely agree with getting out and walking a little bit every day, not that I always do it, but it makes sense. I also enjoyed the recipes that she shared. I liked how she said something about never keeping a good food tip a secret. I will try her recipes. I appreciated her ideas for small snacks that I can carry around for those emergency hunger strikes.
All in all, this book was okay. The tone of the book didn’t really appeal to me, which put me on the defense for American women everywhere. (You eat off paper plates if you want to, girls.) I guess I just feel like this woman thinks that the French put a patent on healthful eating and living, which just isn’t true.
So here is my question to you: What is the one food that you could never give up?
The reason why I never picked up this book when it first came out, despite all the hype, was because of the title—seemed kind of arrogant (and a pretty big generalization). Maybe it was because I let my prejudices take over from the start, but I felt somewhat judged as an American. I just kept picturing Kevin McAllister’s sister (in Home Alone) saying, “You’re what the French call, ‘les incompetent,’” over and over. The last thing I need while reading a book about how to keep the pounds off is a French woman insulting my American roots. Why should I trust some one who is insulting me? It turned me off from the get-go. It seemed as if all French people think Americans just scarf down McDonald’s and full plates of pasta, and if only we would use our “pallets” more, life would be heavenly.
First off, I don’t even have a sense of smell (I was born without it for those who may not know), so the whole point of savoring the aromas and tastes of the food doesn’t work for me. It would be a joke for me to concoct herbs and spices in the kitchen. I realize this is an individualized problem for me, but even if I were able to smell (and taste better than I do), I still have to ask: what makes Mireille think that Americans don’t savor their food? It is still possible for Americans to enjoy the flavors of their food, even if they aren’t sitting in a Parisian bistro. We don’t live in France. There really are a lot of differences between the two countries, so comparing our differences (while frowning upon America’s) is like comparing apples to oranges. America is not set up with corner markets or walking-accessible grocery stores, etc. For those of us on a budget, it’s not entirely practical to go to the store every couple of days. I realize that she is saying if we did have corner markets and walked to the store several times a week, we’d be better off, but again, apples to oranges. It takes 10 minutes just to drive to a decent-priced grocery store here, and to be honest, I don’t feel like being social while I’m fighting with a two-year-old and just trying to get out of there so I can go home and prepare my savor-licious meal. On that same note, sometimes it’s more convenient and easier to use paper products instead of my nice dinnerware. I thought it was kind of ridiculous that she said if it bothers us to wash the plate, “it’s better than being fat.” I realize this may be her blunt culture coming through, but I just don’t think I am going to get “fat” from eating off of a paper plate.
Okay, so on to the things I did enjoy about this book. Yes. I am all for eating what I like in moderation. I think of all the things she talked about, moderation was the one point that stood out most for me. I agree that starvation and total denial of foods we love is self-defeating. Also, I agree that we should be sensible about the things we are putting into our bodies. There’s no need for a Wendy’s Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger three times a week when we can make something ten times more fulfilling with more healthful foods. It's harder for me to settle for Wendy’s when I have my meal for that night planned out. I most definitely agree with getting out and walking a little bit every day, not that I always do it, but it makes sense. I also enjoyed the recipes that she shared. I liked how she said something about never keeping a good food tip a secret. I will try her recipes. I appreciated her ideas for small snacks that I can carry around for those emergency hunger strikes.
All in all, this book was okay. The tone of the book didn’t really appeal to me, which put me on the defense for American women everywhere. (You eat off paper plates if you want to, girls.) I guess I just feel like this woman thinks that the French put a patent on healthful eating and living, which just isn’t true.
So here is my question to you: What is the one food that you could never give up?




3 comments:
I could never give up ice cream! It just won't work. But I agree with you about the tone of the book. In my post I said similar things....like we don't know what good food tastes like and the such. But it's just her french opinion and we have ours and I'm all for eating off of paper plates and we do so a bunch each week. It was good to read it though even if I was on the defensive A LOT it's helped me look at food and eating in a whole new light!
Oh, I love love love the movie quote. Which movie is this from," I don't know Harry, the French are a@@holes." As for the question, I don't know. I don't have a favorite food but I have a food group. Dairy. What can I say, I love the cow even though she's pumped full of hormones....so am I.
that was from dumb and dumber-i think. i don't think could live without popcorn and sour patch kids! mixed together!
Post a Comment