CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Sweet and Gentle Reminder

I LOVED this book; not in the way that I love other books either. Usually when I enjoy a book I gobble it up as fast as I can, but I read this so slow! I think it was like eating a piece of wonderfully creamy rich chocolate & I wanted to savor every bit of it! I kick myself for not reading it MUCH sooner! There are things I think I appreciate much more, however, by reading it now as a grown woman, mother and wife.
The book had many moral lessons and reminders without being preachy. I agree with the previous post that although we live in a much different time, things are not really that different. I loved her sense of humor and how realistic each of the characters and their situations seemed. I loved Jo's character for being so strong and fun. I thought she still seemed very girly(womanly), but I wonder if that's just how different we are now days! Laurie was such a perfect character in the book & I must say I still feel a little sad that it didn't turn out how he would've originally liked it! I could go on about every character, I think. I feel the book was well written, realistic, funny, sweet, creative, warm and fully enjoyable.

If you didn't get a chance to read it, I highly recommend it. It's a timeless work of art!

3 comments:

Cort said...

I always love your comments, they're so full of emotion! Your post alone made me wish I had tried harder to like the book. Maybe I just thought I didn't like it because like you when I usually like a book I read quickly and gobble it up. Like I said I was enchanted when I read the book but not enough to keep it up to finish the whole story. I will definitely give it another try.

Life with the Warrens said...

Bravo, well Said! i felt the same way about the whole book. if you liked Louisa May Alcott's book then i would suggest reading her other works. She has a great book of short stories that are so tragic and interesting you might like it!

Laura & Nate said...

April, I'm so glad you're my sister. You are wonderful. I love reading your posts. I still can't believe you hadn't ever read this book before, it was a basic staple of Rachel's and mine--whenever we were in need of a good book. I probably should still read it and get over the guilt for not finishing last months.