Apparently I just couldn't wait to tell you all what I thought of the book (yes I am up at almost 1 in the morning!). I typed this at the beginning of April when I finished the book:
So I've already bought the ingredients for my leek soup and am raring to go. I have some lovely weight I need to shed and after reading this book have found the courage to do so. It's not a book about a diet (which I don't have the will power to stick to) or a book about an exercise regime (which again I don't have the will power to stick to). It's all about minor changes that I should already be doing to feel better about myself and help myself feel better.
I really enjoyed this book for the inspiration it gave me to be a better me. There were parts I however wasn't excited about. I loved the beginning where she talked about how to get started and what changes to make and her own story of how she made changes and the stories of the 3 women. But I wasn't thrilled with her middle section about how American's don't know what good food is unless they make a trek to a market 3 times a week or more. I don't know about you guys but with 2 kids I don't have time to make that kind of a trek. I am among those who do the twice a month grocery shopping trips because of the time saved. But I will probably try to find better produce from now on than just giving into the crap that Wal-Mart throws on us.
Maybe it was just my feelings that were hurt by saying we don't know what good food tastes like mostly because we haven't had the pleasure of tasting fresh good food. But what if my favorite thing in the world was Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (which it's not) and that nothing in the world tasted better to me than that (which isn't true). But what if it was? Well then I thought about it a little more and realized what I loved most about this book (and I will probably buy it now), that it was all about personalizing how you will make those small changes everyday to get down to the weight that will be comfortable for you. So in reality all her ranting about different foods and how the French are the best at eating and picking out food and tasting it, blah blah was just her opinion (some of which made good points) but it really was just that, her opinion, her tastes. I have to find what I love and can't live without and what I can live without but just ate because it was there: and go from there.
On another note, I was happy to see the recipes in it, I love recipes because it's something new to try! I also saw that there's a follow up book, French Women for all Seasons with plenty of recipes and who knows what else!
Thanks for picking this book out.....I'm really excited for my next 3 months!
So I tried the "mimosa soup" and I just can't gag it down anymore.....it has no taste and even when I gave it a little flavor the thought of eating it again makes me sick.....oh well I didn't really need a jumpstart right? We'll see....
As of now April 29th I'm down 3 lbs...it's hard to change the way I view food since I've been this way for as long as I can remember and I don't like to be this disciplined but I will do it to live a healthier life. Also we've been trying new cheeses in our family....we already love cheese so this was fun for us!
Thursday, May 1, 2008
It's time for me to make a change!
Posted by Julia at 12:51 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
I loved the book too. Since reading I've learned that I get a nice portion of food and then I'm either so busy with kids or watching TV or walking around doing errands at the same time that I'm finished with my food and don't even remember eating it....so I go get more food. I've got to stop everything and savor my food so that I'm satisfied on the first try. Thanks for sharing about the book for all seasons because I seriously had no idea which foods were good in which season and I didn't know what leeks were either. I had to do some grocery research on that one.
Good for you on the 3 lbs! So, did you ever try the leek soup? How was it?
I tried the mimosa kind with all the different vegetables instead of the leek soup. It also had leeks in it but I figured it would be more filling than just boiled leeks....I just couldn't gag it all down so I bagged it and just started mixing it in with stuff before I just ended up throwing the rest away. It did taste pretty good with some fat free parmesan cheese sprinkled on it....but I just needed more food than that
i eat leeks about 2x a week. they are my fave veggie. but i don't put it in soup. i just sautee it with olive oil, cooking wine and then season it with a bit of french grey sea salt(really pricey) and pepper. voila! super delicious!
Haha. Did you say voila because it's French?
Post a Comment