Salu-what? Well, let me just start by saying that I love this book. I've seen the movie a hundred times, but I have never read the book. (Which actually made it kind of hard to read because I had an overwhelming urge to sing the songs during certain parts. Like Templeton's food-antics at the fair. "Every night is a smorgous board, orgous board...") I'm glad I finally read it, because I think E.B. White is a very talented writer. Some things I like about his writing:
His wit. I noticed it the most through Charlotte's character. She is such a clever, "old schemer". She is the only one clever enough to outwit everyone (which makes me wonder-- how did she get so smart?).
His focus on friendship. Charlotte and Wilbur have a cool relationship. Charlotte brought out the best in Wilbur, but ironically, she was also just as "terrific, radiant and humble." Clever Charlotte let Wilbur "hog" all the glory, and she was happy to do it on the sidelines. She loved Wilbur unconditionally.
His ability to set the mood. I think Tanya said it in her comment, but I agree. He is masterful in setting the mood of the book, especially with the seasons. I like how he brings everything full circle. Birth (Wilbur), death (Charlotte), growing up (Fern), the four seasons.
Which brings me to my question for everyone: Of all the seasons that E.B. White described, which one hit home the most?
Saturday, February 2, 2008
Sarah's Salutations.
Posted by Sarady at 9:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
I will answer my own question here and say that by far, I loved his description of the end of summer. The crickets singing their songs was creative. Plus, I love the fall and all it brings with it--crisp air, the leaves turning, the fair. I could actually feel the summer ending.
that is exactly how i felt. even though i never lived on a farm, those same feelings of long nights ready to expire, the chirping, the sense of growing older, all have a familiar effect on anyone, i believe, who has been young like Fern and Wilbur. A feeling like you would stay this same way forever. never growing old, never experiencing pain because everything is so perfect and beautiful.
holy crap sarah you had me rolling. you are the funniest person i know cuz even though we didn't read the book together, we both did the same things. like sing the songs at the right time. plus E.B. White was so awesome, the words from the book were directly quoted into the animation. pure genius. if it ain't broke don't fix it!
Winter hit home the most because we're in it and he describes what it's currently like.
About the friendship. Sometimes I felt like Wilbur was just such a weenie. He was always freaking out like Mr. Furly on Three's company at any little thing and Charlotte would have to calm him down. He did minally seem to mature by the end and I guess some friendships really are like that.
Sidenote: What was up with the mom going to the Dr. because she talked to animals?
Oooh. I just love reading your insights! That's all I have to say for now. I can't remember the book from last year after all. Especially all the delicious details you are talking about. You are a natural writer for sure, sar.
I really enjoyed the description of the long days of summer. Maybe it's just because we are in winter now and that's what I'm longing for, but it really made me feel the sun on my face and the need to take an afternoon nap. Cort, I have to agree with you that Wilbur seemed kind of like a whiner. He freaked out about everything. I guess that just goes to show how much patience Charlotte had, something I could totally learn more about! Also Sara I was wondering how Charlotte got to be so clever, especially if she only lives through one summer?
Maybe Charlotte was just naturally intelligent. Just how she "knows" to spin a web when she's born. But you don't just develop the ability to outwit the farm folk on instinct. Charlotte is on observer. She watched Wilbur for a while before showing herself to him. She also did a great amount of observing and thinking before she figured out how to outwit Mr. Zuckerman. So now that I think about it more, I think Charlotte is clever from life experience mixed with instinct. She was born with it. She's so special.
And to those who thought Wilbur acted the a whining weenie, I agree. But that's why Charlotte is the star again, because she looked past that and lifted Wilbur up where he belongs...on eagles wings. Haha. Wrong movie.
Post a Comment