The last couple of months have been fairly quiet! Hopefully the two books for this month bring more discussion!!! ;) Even though I don't think ANYONE I know has read Breaking Dawn! JK! Anyway, as promised, I am finally adding my thoughts on Jane Eyre.
I'll begin by confessing that this is the first time I've read Jane Eyre. About a year ago I read The Eyre Affair, by Jasper Fforde (great book by the way). It gives away some of the story and a big chunk of the end (which I realized, but wanted to read it anyway). Since I read them backwards, it was interesting but not boring in any way, shape or form. I guess I was anxiously awaiting and wondering how she would add them into the story. I was not disappointed at all. In fact, I was actually surprised how the book began.
Oh, how my heart ached for this poor, sweet, unloved, misunderstood little girl! I was sooo angry at Mrs. Reed and her children and the evil Mr. Brocklehurst! I almost had to put the book away for a bit, because it just didn’t seem to end for this little girl. (I guess one of the main criticisms of the book was that the beginning was too harsh and unrealistic, but it was LARGELY based on Charlotte’s childhood. Her response was “Had I told all the truth, I might indeed have made it far more exquisitely painful – but deemed it advisable to soften and retrench many particulars lest the narrative should rather displease than attract.” I am glad she “softened” it!) Just as it seemed completely unbearable, Jane was able to live life and become a wonderful woman.
It is so much more than a love story. Jane is such a real and believable character with so much depth. Ms. Bronte beautifully painted each scene and I was amazed how she was able to evoke such strong feelings in me (usually I can separate myself pretty well- come on, it’s just a book!) There are some parts that seem a little too coincidental for me, but then again, sometimes that happens. I also was sometimes disappointed in how Jane sometimes wasn’t as strong as I thought she should be…. Then I’d have to remind myself… DUH this is over 150 years old… she’s DANG strong for then!
I thought it was a beautifully written classic; I am glad that I finally read it. It’s one of my new favorites. I think Jane is a wonderful heroine. Chris (my husband) asked me if I thought this book really deserved the title “a classic,” which I responded with a wholehearted “YES!” Although it was written over 160 years ago, women and girls today can relate and learn so much from the aptly dubbed heroine. I’m going to get good use out of this purchase. : )
Monday, August 25, 2008
Yay! I have a computer that works again!!!
Posted by April & Chris at 10:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Jane Eyre is one of my absolute favorite classica. I love the dark truth at the beginning and how she over comes her trials to be strong enough even to run from love that could sour so quickly if not handled with care. my heart breaks for her everytime i read it and then it somehow mends itself so beautifully at the end. Bronte was an amazing writer. glad you liked it too!
April, I am still in the middle of Jane Eyre, so I will read your review after I finish (I've never read it either). But what I've read, I love. I think the Bronte family was brilliant and very talented.
Okay, I wanted to wait until I actully finished the book to read your review. I loved this book. I think you are absolutely right: Jane is a heroine. And I agree, this is definitely a classic!
Post a Comment