I finished the book late but I'm so glad I read it. For any of you who ran out of time, please please please pick this book up and read it this year. It was life changing for me. My parents are prejudice people and I'm constantly upset by their comments about Islam. I don't understand the concept of hating an entire group of people because of a title. I like to judge people individually. This book was right up my alley! I learned how there is no one Islam religion. There's a few different kinds of Islams and then a few different kinds of Fundamentalist Islam. There's really no way to keep track and no way to just hate or love them all.
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Before the New Discussion Begins
I loved this book because it's always a great story when people stumble upon a life of service. And it's an even better story when you can get a small glimpse of how hard true service can be. From the beginning, it seemed impossible to me and then build an actual bridge on top of that? Crazy.
I honor the wife for putting up with Greg. I'm glad they found true love but she didn't marry into an easy life or easy love.
And about the war: Don't get me wrong, I love our troops and I value and respect what they're doing but I see greater value in Greg's peaceful education. It's a long term plan but I see it's possibility and I don't think I would have originally believed it had I not read the book. So before next month's discussion begins make sure this book is next on your list!
This was also very interesting because while I was reading this book, my husband was reading a book called Because They Hate. We tried to have a couple discussions about the Middle East after reading our books and we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Apparently we read 2 very different sides of the Islam religion.
Posted by Cort at 8:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
I read the book late, too, but it really was great! I was saddened to see how little our government has followed through with rebuilding that part of the world--whether the money isn't getting there or is just getting into the wrong hands.
It really is depressing to see how many good people suffer when a few extremists give their country or religion a bad name.
If only there were more people like Greg out there. He's amazing and his work is amazing.
Great book! I'm so happy to see books are still being written about good people who do great things. Seems like mostly all we ever see anymore is the dark and depressing sides of humanity.
Post a Comment