
I thought I would get us started on March's book Little Women. I am not sure how many made it through the book since it was quite long and written a little differently than what we may be use to. I particularly loved this book because of the many different stages of childhood and womanhood throughout the book. I have always wanted to be a mother like Marmee. Her wisdom gained through experience helped to shape and mold her 5 beautiful girls. You might think that this book is so "old" in respects to their lifestyle and struggles. This is where I disagree. We do not suffer so much in poverty but have our own financial difficulties and may try to keep up with the joneses. After Meg hurts her ankle at the ball Jo says 'I don't believe fine young ladies enjoy themselves a bit more than we do, in spite of our burnt hair, old gowns, one glove apiece, and tight slippers that sprain our ankles when we are silly enough to wear them." This was a great lesson to me. I don't sit wishing I had a better carriage or gown or gloves and slippers but I do think how much better things would be if I had a better car, more expensive clothing, and shoes and accessories. We are not much different than these Little Women. We have a choice to be happy with what we have and who we are and what we do with our lives. I hope everyone was able to connect with each character and enjoyed it as much as I did.
Tuesday, April 1, 2008
Life as Little Women
Posted by Life with the Warrens at 5:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Bravo, little woman. I think you're right about times not being too different from back then. Our worlds still revolve around the same basic issues. I guess it's the age-long quest for happiness,no matter what our circumstances. Still learning that lesson, madam Marmee/Tanya.
I do love Marmee and how gently she taught her children. I did resolve to be a better more patient mother when I read certain parts. And I did like watching the children try so hard to fix their faults. I don't remember being that diligent as a child. There were some very enchanting things about the book and I do appreciate that.
I really liked this book. A lot. But I was surprised by how moral it is. I have seen the movie several times, but hadn't realized how many more "life's lessons" the book would have to offer. I really was so impressed by how hard each character tried to be the best they could be. I don't have the patience or diligence to "perfect" myself to even half their levels. I think I was most surprised by how hard Amy tried to be so good--never got that impression from the movie!
Post a Comment